SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Venus and Jupiter in daylight.

MickyWay

I've just seen Venus and Jupiter in daylight for the first time, and I am blown away! I often wondered what Venus looked like during the day (it was 14.00hrs), and I wasn't disappointed. Beautiful.

I didn't expect to see Jupiter either, and there it was. More difficult to see, but that made it even more spectacular. I could even see the 'belts'.

Try it if you haven't already (I expect most have).

Equipment used: Celestron C8 and 25mm eyepiece.

Warning: Ensure that the Sun is not in the field of view (at any time of the year), eye damage could be the result.

I never even realised you could see things in the day until about a week ago. And here's me thinking that astronomy was only a night time pursuit! :)

It is easy to find objects in the daytime sky? And are they fairly obvious when you do find them?

Must try this out sometime!

I never even realised you could see things in the day until about a week ago. And here's me thinking that astronomy was only a night time pursuit! :)

Have you tried looking at the sun (using the correct equipment of course), just wait till you look through a Ha scope - it will blow your mind! And it is much warmer too.

It is easy to find objects in the daytime sky? And are they fairly obvious when you do find them?

Must try this out sometime!

It helps if you have a 'GOTO' mount! You can't star hop in daylight!

Venus is very bright, and is obvious once found. Jupiter is also bright, but smaller in apparent diameter, and as such, does not stand out so clearly as Venus (looks like a white disk against a light grey background.

Have you tried looking at the sun (using the correct equipment of course), just wait till you look through a Ha scope - it will blow your mind! And it is much warmer too.

I was actually looking at the Sun at the time and decided to see what Jupiter and Venus looked like. Well worth a look :)

Thanks for the info. I don't have a solar filter yet - I've only had my telescope for about a month (unfortunately not a GOTO!) so I'm still getting used to what most people would call the basics.

I can see me getting a solar filter in the fairly near future though!

Archived