Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

IR pass filter - advice required

pilkinn

I want to get an IR pass filter and as I already have Astronomik LRGB filters I though about getting one of their IR Pro filters. The question is do I go for the 742nm or the 807nm?. It's going to be used with my DMK21AU618 on a C11. Will the extra sharpness with the 807nm really be worth sacrificing the sensitivity of the CCD at that wavelength and hence having to increase exposure time?

(sent using Tapatalk)

I would recommend red visual filter (passes red + IR) and optionally the ProPlanet 742. The 807 nm version may be useful on Moon sometimes, but in general for planetary imaging it's to dark).

The "darker" (longer wavelengths) IR filter you use - the longer exposures at full gain you need and that easily can create a lot of fine (grainy) noise when sharpening.

Sounds like it's not the 807nm then. I thought the camera might not be sensitive enough in that wavelength.

I'm planning on using the IR pass filter to get the luminance channel and then each of the R,G and B for the colours. I'm hoping Mars is still around when I get it. For the time being I need to start with using the RGB filters I've already got.

Thanks.

(sent using Tapatalk)

Archived