Mounting a DLSR onto a GEM

Hello - what do I need to directly mount a DLSR onto a GEM ... specifically an iEQ45 (which apparently comes supplied with Dual Vixen / Losmandy dovetail)?

I guess that if I go this route to start out with AP i.e. without a telescope, I will have to do manual star hopping, right, because I won't be able to do a star align? Should still give scope for a gentle introduction some basic AP, shouldn't it?

Many thanks.

Whatever you do it must be fairly sturdy. Years of trial & error have lead me to use a huge photographic ball & socket type tripod head with a short length of dovetail bolted underneath. This then slots into the dovetail groove on the mount. The ball and socket head allows flexible pointing options.

Don't skimp on the ball & socket head though as small & meduim size ones will drift imperceptably causing star trails.

I use Manfrotto 268 heads which weigh 1.5kg each but are are super stable

Manfrotto-268-1 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll have a look at them. And without a telescope, that'll be manual star hopping, right, because I won't be able to do a star align iwht a "standard" camera lens?

Also, does the camera need to be mounted in line with the axis of the mount (whatever the axis name is!!) to eliminate star trails, or could it be angled a little for better framing? I'm guessing it can be angled, given the recommendations for a ball and socket mount?

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll have a look at them. And without a telescope, that'll be manual star hopping, right, because I won't be able to do a star align iwht a "standard" camera lens?

Also, does the camera need to be mounted in line with the axis of the mount (whatever the axis name is!!) to eliminate star trails, or could it be angled a little for better framing? I'm guessing it can be angled, given the recommendations for a ball and socket mount?

Assuming the polar axis of the mount is fairly well aligned a ball and socket arrangement should allow you to point the camera almost anywhere. You'll be restricted mainly by the focal length of the camera lens, above 300mm you'll need to think about guiding for longer exposures.

Archived