Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Canon IS or DC lens?

AlistairHowie

Hello - I'm looking to get into DSLR AP and am considering the Canon 1100. There seems to be two versions - with either a DC lens or IS lens. The DC one seems to be about £40 cheaper.

What's the difference and does it make any difference for AP which one I get?

Also what type of remote shutter release are people using? I've seen the Giga T Pro II Wireless Timer one online but can't find out much about it for AP. Seems like most are using the TC80-N3 shutter release. Is that right?

All advice and thoughts on any or all of the above gratefully received.

Many thanks

I think the lenses are the mk1 and the mk2 kit lenses.. The mk2 IS has a stabiliser, the mk1 doesn't. I've not compared, but the mk2, from what I've read, is a better lens. They both operate with the same focus motor DC mechanism however.

I use the TC80 type timer remote (mine is a clone from ebay though) when I'm not using the laptop with guiding and tethered shooting.

Hello - I'm looking to get into DSLR AP and am considering the Canon 1100. There seems to be two versions - with either a DC lens or IS lens. The DC one seems to be about £40 cheaper.

What's the difference and does it make any difference for AP which one I get?

Also what type of remote shutter release are people using? I've seen the Giga T Pro II Wireless Timer one online but can't find out much about it for AP. Seems like most are using the TC80-N3 shutter release. Is that right?

All advice and thoughts on any or all of the above gratefully received.

Many thanks

The IS lenses have Image Stabilization built into them which, when switched on, allows images to be taken in much darker conditios, or at slower shutter speeds than can normally be hand held, some times by as much as 3 on 4 stops, so at 1/4 sec as opposed to 1/30th without it. It is best to switch IS off if you are using the camera on a tripod, or atteched to a telescope, as it is no longer needed(you already have a firm base) and it can in fact give strange effects if left on. The DC lens is just the same lens but without Image Stabilization. To be fair IS is really only needed if you are hand holding a telephoto lens in bad light conditions, or when you would need a fast shutter speed to keep you images sharp, then it can make the world of difference to your results.

I don't think you can go wrong with Canon equipment. I have all Canon gear (see below plus an assortment of Canon lenses and flashguns). They used to make a DSLR specifically for astro phtotgraphy (20D I think), but don't think they make them anymore. You can get whatever Canon DSLR you finally decide on altered for astro use. I believe you can get the filter that goes in front of the sensor removed or changed but I am not sure about that, perhaps other members can help?

I too will be using the DSLR's (unaltered) for AP and am waiting for the necessary bits to be delivered (and a good clear night of course!). Let us know how you get on.

Whilst on the subject of AP, I will be using Deep Sky Stacker (already down-loaded) and see from the tutorials that you require light frames, dark frames (I know what they are) and also flat frames and bias frames, which I have to admite I have no idea what they are or how you make them - can anyone help in words of one syllable if pos (I am no longer young nor a quick learner!!)? Thanks

Everyone will direct you to the beginner's imaging bible, that is "Making every photon count" - available here Beginners guide to astro-photography and written by one of SGLs own. I have it, and it's good.

If you want a quick definition of darks, flats, etc - see here DeepSkyStacker FAQ

Check out www.astropix.com for lots of great information.

BTW, it was the Canon 20Da, now discontinued, which had no IR filter, thus saving on the need to mod it.

Everyone will direct you to the beginner's imaging bible, that is "Making every photon count" - available here Beginners guide to astro-photography and written by one of SGLs own. I have it, and it's good.

If you want a quick definition of darks, flats, etc - see here DeepSkyStacker FAQ

Check out www.astropix.com for lots of great information.

BTW, it was the Canon 20Da, now discontinued, which had no IR filter, thus saving on the need to mod it.

Excellent, thanks for that

Archived