Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

8"sct + oiii filter for nebula ?

Hi i live in a semi suburban area with moderate lp i have purchased a Oiii filter for my 8"sct had a go at M1 but no luck :) so what nebula can i expect to see with my set up see sig for my gear list

Thanks Dazz

Hi Dazz, Hang in there, I live in the West Midlands and suffer bad light pollution, I used M1 as a test on sky transparency - some nights it was there and others - not, try covering your head with a "cloak" whilst at the eyepiece to really darken your viewing - sounds and looks daft - but try it - it works.

Get used to the filter and try and use it for a while, then have another look at M1, also if your using GOTO and slew to M1, look around with the direction buttons on the handset - it may be just out of the FOV.

Also try to observe with no Moon in the sky, if still no luck, experiment with the magnification your using - I know that these objects should be viewed with a low power - try increasing the power a little - this also helps to darken the background sky helping with contrast.

Stick in there Dazz and try looking for the galaxies/nebulae between mag 9 and 10 - no fainter to start with, also planetary nebula "look" a lot brighter than there mag suggests (being more compact and not spread out across the sky), try the one in Draco for starters - really bright.

Sky contrast changes from night to night - some nights better than others - Take care and regards Paul.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived