Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron or Skywatcher

Hi

I am on the road to purchase my first scope. I am torn between Skywatcher 127 Mak AZ Goto and a Celestron 127 Omni XLT.

I am interested in astro-photography and would like to capture planets and DSOs. It may be an overreach on my budget, however, I wanted to put forth my aspirations for any suggestions.

i am fairly new to astronomy myself,so i can only advise you upto where i am at.first off all before atempting to photograph the night sky,get to know you way around the night sky with the book turn left at orion,then when you decide which telescope to buy get to know the equipment first,know what it can and cannot see,most of all have fun with it.we are using a skywatcher 130m and a celestron nexstar 4se,both have their limitations but both are equally good and fun to use.i would say let astronomy take hold first then move onto photogrophy or video,the team here can help you ore than i can,as for which telescope i would say if you can stretch the budget i would consider the celestron.it has a very good mount i belive,others here will tell you the mount is very important for astrophotography.so i would look in that direction,

ask around and see what other members here will say..

Hi

I am on the road to purchase my first scope. I am torn between Skywatcher 127 Mak AZ Goto and a Celestron 127 Omni XLT.

I am interested in astro-photography and would like to capture planets and DSOs. It may be an overreach on my budget, however, I wanted to put forth my aspirations for any suggestions.

127 Mak is for planetary/lunary viewing and imaging. Those scopes aren't designed for DS imaging (very dark f-ratio) as well as those mounts aren't good for long time exposures.

As above, these scopes woulld not be at all good for deep sky imaging. For deep sky you need a fast f ratio and a good equatorial mount. If you are not going to autoguide the mount you need a very short focal length as well as a fast f ratio and a good mount. Deep sky imaging is complicated and expensive. Planetary imaging is easier and less expensive, at least at beginner level (though like anything it else it can get harder!)

Olly

I would go with the Celestron NexStar 6se. the goto is good and with the F 6.3 focal reducer and a DSLR you can get decent DSO images even in AZ Alt mode.

check the Cloudy nights Forums under NexSta for some amazing examples with an un modified DSLR! you only need subs of several minutes,

check for yourself.

Plus my 6 has great optics and works well on Planets.

Orion

I would go with the Celestron NexStar 6se. the goto is good and with the F 6.3 focal reducer and a DSLR you can get decent DSO images even in AZ Alt mode.

check the Cloudy nights Forums under NexSta for some amazing examples with an un modified DSLR! you only need subs of several minutes,

Hold on there.

1. The SE mount isn't very accurate in tracking.

2. You can't make serveral minutes subs on an alt/az mount as you will get field rotation. You need a wedge to avoid it.

3. DSLR + f/6.3 start working best from 8" SCTs. 6" may be slightly to small

nothing less than an HEQ5 mount

Its comments like that that scare people off LOL i really dont mean to be rude, but as on another thread 'Budget DSO Showcase' its all about doing exactly that, a budget DSO Showcase to show that you dont HAVE to have the most expensive kit and good images are obtainable using small mounts like the EQ3-2, not everyone can afford the HEQ5 as much as we all want one, and to hear "nothing less than an HEQ5 mount" is REALLY heartbreaking....

Again, not having a dig, a bash, or even looking for a row, i just wish people were a little more tender about the subject instead of smashing anyones dreams of taking an image or 2....

All i wanted to do was spent some time with the Mrs and attempt to take some images, and all i read what "nothing less than an HEQ5 mount" "You HAVE to have at least a HEQ5" and thinking, i cant afford that, but want to get going.....

But anyways, to the Original Poster, have a look @ http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-deep-sky/179722-budget-dso-showcase.html for some ideas on what you can achieve on a budget :)

Apologies, no harm intended. Just going on the advice I have been given on here.

That's why I'm shelving AP for about a year or so and just going to concentrate on getting a scope for visual.

Saw the Nexstar 6SE today when I popped into an astro shop. They also had the Skywatcher 127 on display. Both look excellent scopes and I'm leaning towards the 6SE.

FLO has them for a very reasonable price.

Years ago I had a Celestron 9.25 SCT on a GEM mount, no motors tho. With an old 35mm slr I could get fantastic shots of the moon and with eyepiece projection got photo's of Jupiter and Saturn.

Planets and the moon should be no problem with a standard DSLR as the shutter times will be much shorter as the ccd is more sensitive than 35mm colour print film.

Hasn't the Nexstar SE series got a built in wedge too?

Archived