NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Fitting a Skywatcher auto focuser to a 200P DS

phw26

Hi,

I am trying to fit the Skywatcher auto focuser to a Skywatcher 200P DS. I now realise that the auto focuser is meant for the single speed focuser. Does anyone know if there is a kit available to make this work.

Thanks

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...Does anyone know if there is a kit available to make this work.

I have been pondering this myself, but I understand that you can only get it to fit with a bit of DIY bodging. There are a few threads on this subject:

http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/167217-diy-motor-focus.html

http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/134124-diy-electric-less-focuser.html

Perhaps someone can come up with a better solution. It amazes me that Skywatcher haven't come up with one which will fit the PDS focuser.

Here’s what I have done with my auto focuser motor. I have fitted the bracket to the focuser using longer screws and nuts as spacers to stop the bracket hitting the large focus wheel. I bought a pulley wheel and belt and fitted it as show in the picture. Havn't used it in an observing session yet. The idea is the belt can easily be removed to allow for manual focusing.

post-24198-133877747642_thumb.jpg

I fitted a Skywatcher remote (NOT AUTO) focuser to my 200PDS scope and it was simple. I removed the knob on the focuser and using the supplied kit, attached the focuser. The main thing I did was to reverse the focuser on the scope so that the remote focuser was on the opposite side to the open end of the scope, then it didn't get in the way of any extras fitted (such as solar film adapters). No need for belts or any other unnecessary bits. The only thing that needs attention is the grub screw on the focus mechanism - it needs changing to the other side. That's it - simples!!!.

Sorry, can't supply images at present, as scope packed into motorhome ready for holiday.

Sorry, can't supply images at present, as scope packed into motorhome ready for holiday.

Sounds good, but without pictures I'm struggling to visualise it!

you take the wheel part down ,turn it round so the two wheels are now on the left hand side ,take the one wheel off and fit it to this shaft. I take a pic for you if you can not work it out.

That was my original plan but I couldnt remove the large wheel, there is no grubscrew.

I fitted a Skywatcher remote (NOT AUTO) focuser to my 200PDS scope and it was simple. I removed the knob on the focuser and using the supplied kit, attached the focuser. The main thing I did was to reverse the focuser on the scope so that the remote focuser was on the opposite side to the open end of the scope, then it didn't get in the way of any extras fitted (such as solar film adapters). No need for belts or any other unnecessary bits. The only thing that needs attention is the grub screw on the focus mechanism - it needs changing to the other side. That's it - simples!!!.

That was my original plan but I couldnt remove the large wheel, there is no grubscrew

ok the grubscrew is right on the end, look at the big photo you can see the bar that hold the motor on to the left of the motor you can see the hole . it in that hole.

Yes I can see mine is the same but the knob where the motor is fitted on yours ,my knob has no grubscrew and i can't remove it.

Thanks to the advice here, I popped out and bought an auto-focuser and fitted it, all over the period of one hour. And to think I've put off doing this for 2 years, thinking that it wasn't possible to fit them onto a PDS focuser. I even sold my previous autofocuser for that reason. Doh!

One adaptation I did have to make was to put a couple of spacers on the bracket, shown circled here. If it didn't have these spacers, then the grub screw which fixes the autofocuser to the focusing spindle would have been concealed by the main focusser assembly and couldn't be tightened. It didn't go far enough into the assembly to be able to line up with the original allen-key access hole (Sorry, I'm not sure of the proper teminology for all the bits, but I hope it's clear). So, Starlight 1, I don't know how you managed it on yours, but it works fine all the same.

post-16549-133877747855_thumb.jpg

Thanks Kharga and Starlight1 for uploading you pictures, very much appreciated. Starlight1 thanks for you drawing, I located the grub screw and managed to remove the knob. The motor is now fitted and working ok. I had to drill a small pilot hole to allow me to tighten the drive motor grub screw onto the focuser shaft (see photo). Do you know of anyone who wants to buy a belt and pulley wheel. Lol. Great that Luke got his sorted as well. Thanks again everyone for your help, just need a clear night now to try it out.

post-24198-13387774843_thumb.jpg

Archived