Speed question.

Sound like you asking about focal length ?, the lower the F ratio the faster the speed (photographical), also the lower the focal ratio the wider the field of view of a give patch of sky, how it works, for instance my scope is an F4, it's worked out by the width of the primary mirror, in my case 254mm with a focal length of 1016mm, so 1016 mm divided by 254mm is 4, so the focal length is f4.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/telescope_focal_length.htm

f number refers to focal ratio which is the focal length divided by the apparture. For visual work it makes little difference in the view other than faster scopes (lower f numbers ) need better eyepieces, give less magnification on a given eyepiece and give a wider view. On imaging rigs however F number is vitally important as the lower the the f number the shorter the exposure. a short exposure is much more forgiving of a mount's inadequacies than a long one.

My simple way of thinking about the difference between a "fast" scope and a "slow" scope is to visualise how quickly incoming parallel rays of light are brought to a focus.

A small f number means the light cone is "short and fat" whereas a bigger f number means it is "long and thin".

That means a fast scope can be physically shorter than a slow one.

I'm a simple chap.

Mike

Great stuff.:)

All this new info you guys have been arming me with is making me think about what my next scope should be.My first one hasn't even arrived yet.

I can see where this is leading.:hello2:

Danny.

Archived