LXD55 vs. EQ3/2 ?

Hi Brent

I have an LXD75, not much difference than the LXD55, just the cogs are metal on the LXD75 apposed to the 55 which are nylon. There good mount's, had 2 min's unguided out of it, what you do need to consider there not ST4 compatible for guiding, I use the Meade DSI 2, you can pick them up for around £260 new, but keep you payload up to 20 pound max for guiding, what scope are you getting with it ?. The best place to go for review's is weasner's LXD55/75 site.

Weasner's LXD55/75 Site

Edit: oh ye, below is the manual for them

http://astro.union.rpi.edu/documents/LXD55_Manual.pdf

It's a significant step up then by the sound of it

I would be putting my 150p on it.

Does the lack of st4 port mean it won't connect to a laptop to use Stellarium as the GOTO?

It's a significant step up then by the sound of it

I would be putting my 150p on it.

Does the lack of st4 port mean it won't connect to a laptop to use Stellarium as the GOTO?

You can control the scope on a laptop/pc as above with a serial to USB adapter, for guiding you can use a DSI, but the auto guiding has to run via the laptop/pc (as there is no auto guide port on the mount), you control the telescope via planetary software to get to your target object, once your there you shutdown the comms port from the planetarium software an open it up again on autostar envisage which can be used for guiding. The other option is unguided, in that case you leave the planetarium software comms port open, and with the DSI/ or other CCD use another comms port to capture images.

An example of what I do is I find the target with my planetarium software, then switch over the comm’s port to the DSI 2 to autoguide via envisage, PHD will also work to, them I capture my image on another CCD on a second scope that running separate software on it’s own comms port.

Edit: sorry, it will work on must planetarium software, as long as you have the ASCOM driver's.

Archived