I am a newb, and I'm looking to get into this hobby, please lend me your experience.

Hello, I am a 33 year old man who has had a love of looking at the sky for hours, much like all of you. I have recently begun to start "exploring" the skies, and by that I mean, using a 20 dollar telescope, and a set of binoculars. At this point I am interested in seeing the stunning amayzing sites of the night sky.

I have started to read up on this hobby, and I'd like to give a brief idea of what I would like to do, and not do in this hobby.

1. At this point, I am not interested in learning the locations of every star or constellation in the sky, I just don't have that much dedication to the craft, and do not have a inclination to be considered an astronomer of anykind. I'm just a stargazer who just likes to look at the sky.

2. I would like to know the best telescope to fit me. I would like it to have these best funcions in mind.

a. It doesn't have to be portable, but I'd like to have a portable one so I can get to the really dark country area's in my region.

b. I want to be able to litterally make out some of the planets in the sky, rather than to just see a shiny object thorugh the lens, I'd like to see subtle characteristics.

c. I would freaking love to be able to see the horsehead nebulae, if that's the right word

3. what's the best for this simple novice hobby of mine?

4. I am not looking to get into this hardcore, but I have not problem dropping somee cash on a telescope. I am just unsure of the righ type, relfractive, dobsonian, etc.

In a nut shell I want to be able to be a novice stargazer that has a nice, possible computerized/gps telescope that can really bring the images home for me when I look into the eyepiece. Should I go 80mm, 150mm I mean what's going to get me where I want to be.

I have been looking at some stargazing blog photos that celestron has on their website, and just looked at the scopes some of the photographers were using, but I also read somewhere that a photography telescope isn't quite the same as a non photography scope.

Give me an idea what would be good. I'd like to stay in the 5-700 dollar range if possible, and if that's too much for what I want to do, what are some options?

Thanks guys, this forum is huge and I hope I've not violated any rules by posting this question that I'm sure has been asked multiple times, but you have to think how intimidating coming to a new forum is, when trying to navigate, using the search functions etc. Thanks guys.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

A lot of questions and not all of them going to answered in detail in one thread.:)

Firstly I'd suggest you probably want to lose the $20 "telescope". A binocular will give you so much more bang for your buck and teach you more when starting out. Some of us remain attached to our bins!

Don't rush in. Take your time. Do the research. Read up on a lot of threads. Post as many questions as you like. We love questions on these fourms. No such thing as a daft question here.

In answer to your points I'd reply:

1. No need to memorize every constellation etc. That's what a Star atlas and software is for. Btw, it's too late, you are already an amateur astronomer :hello2:.

2. The "best" telescope is a very large subject indeed. Suffice it to say one size (or type) does not fit all. (The Horsehead Nebula is really a photographic object...)

3. I'd say stick with a trusty binocular for the near future and do a bit more research. Maybe think about a dobsonian or an SCT telescope? (see my signature for examples of each). A lot depends on what you want to do. The mount will also play a large part in your decision making process.

4. ditto

Oh, and most important of all.

Have fun.

Welcome to SGL

I second binoculars. 7x50 or 10x50 will be great for learning where everything is. They will meet you need for 1, 2a, 3 and 4.

2b. If you want to see planets in details, you'll need a telescope.

2c. If you want to see the horse head, you'll need a VERY big telescope and a very dark site.

Horsehead is very dim, I have never been able to observe it.

With your budget, I'll get a pair of good 10x50, and then a dobsonian telescope. Assuming you are in the USA (since you listed your budget in $), you can consider the Orion XT10 or Meade Lightbridge.

Really does depend by what you mean by not looking to get into hardcore.

"Inexpensive" would I guess be something like the 150PL dobsonian, although the almost "standard" 8" dobsonian may be a better option.

Not sure of the cost in the US, I assume that is where you are.

I would aim for something about the $500 mark then get a couple of decent eyepieces. The BST's are good here and the same eyepiece is the Astro-Tech Paradigm's in the US. You will need a collimator, and you may want to replace the barlow with a better one.

Try astronomics, the SW 8" f/6 dobsonian is $449, Paradigms $60, guess a cheshire collimator is about $50. So that is $620 plus yopur taxes.

If you buy a decent barlow then the 12mm and 18mm Paradigm, if you don't then the 8mm and 12mm Paradigm.

Will you see the Horse Head with that, honestly have no idea, simply have no idea what magnification is needed for it.

You will have to learn some constellations, the main ones. The scope is fully manual and you have to point it at the object you want to observe.

Suggest you find a local club and see the collection of scope there and how they are used first.

This is why I love these forums, I was a long time member back when I had salt tank of Reefcentral and you could get the same warm, informative replies like I got from all of you. It is perhaps the most daunting task in this sort of hobby to try and understand exactly what it is you are seeing. I saw some really cool pictures of the horsehead nebula, and just thought how incredible it would be to see it through a scope just like the first time I actually could see the curvature of the impact craters as well as an actual depth perception.

Thanks a ton for the help guys, I'll try to keep you posted when I finally decide to make the jump, now is a terrible time, as I am writing this I am in the hospital with my wife as well as my second child, so dropping a ton of money of a telescope is probably a little bit of time a way.

I have however found some stargazing clubs that I plan to get into contact with, and assuming they accept members that have cheap 20 dollar scopes (lol) I thionk that would be the best thing for me to do to actually get a hands on experience about what kind of telescope would fit my interests.

Thanks again guys, I'll keep reading, and stay in touch.

and assuming they accept members that have cheap 20 dollar scopes (lol)

If you are in the US and go along with the classic 60mm Tasco you will get swamped with help. Seems that 75% started out with that scope and still have a bit of nostalga for it. :):D:D:D:D

i noticed firstly you had no inclination or time to learn the stars constellations. so first off id say a go to telescope is pretty much what you'll be after then.

the down side is ,you'll have to pay more for this as oppossed to the same spec manual. so actually picking up a few constellations,downloading stellarium (free and brilliant,do it now) and something like a basic star atlas or "turn left at orion" which will show you hundreds of sights to visit in the sky reasonably easily, could save some money ,or get you more appeture for your money.

good luck with the hobby, and best wishes on the new arrival.

Welcome to SGL

I second binoculars. 7x50 or 10x50 will be great for learning where everything is. They will meet you need for 1, 2a, 3 and 4.

2b. If you want to see planets in details, you'll need a telescope.

2c. If you want to see the horse head, you'll need a VERY big telescope and a very dark site.

Horsehead is very dim, I have never been able to observe it.

With your budget, I'll get a pair of good 10x50, and then a dobsonian telescope. Assuming you are in the USA (since you listed your budget in $), you can consider the Orion XT10 or Meade Lightbridge.

Sorry, I misread your first requirement. You will want a GOTO scope then if you don't want to learn the location of everything. Like Rory said, you will sacrifice optical performance for the computer system. For your budget, you should be looking for a Celestron Nexstar 5SE and a few eyepieces. It should meet your requirement 1,2a,b, 3,4. However, you will see less compared to a manual dobsonian of the same price.

It's not so much that I don't have an inclination to lean the stars, it's that I don't have the inclination to learn a huge amount about it, :) I seriously enjoy starting at the night sky, and when something just happens to catch my eye then I like to examine it.

The goto telescope while it sounds super awesome and easy, I almost think it would take too much fun out of it lol, I would like a knob adjustable tripod, though I really like the idea that the goto's actually have a star tracking capability which is nice.

Novice Astronmy is awsesome, but I want to be able to show my kids the awesome sites of the sky to.

I'm wondering the actual views i can get with the differnt scope powers from like 50-150mm I have a set of 10x50 bins that I use alot, now more since this discussion.

Is there a particualr thread, or place I can go to see the examples of the lens powers?

There's been some discussion about my region, I live in indiana, it's the home of corn so I have a lot of farmland fortunatly where I can get some nice dark views, though I'm sure not a nice a many.

Is there a good spot to go to learn about all the different types of scopes as well, likke refracting, dobsonian etc. I was on an ebay store that had casegrain, dobsonian, etc, I"m not really sure about the terminology and purpose of each type of tele.

I'm wondering the actual views i can get with the differnt scope powers from like 50-150mm I have a set of 10x50 bins that I use alot, now more since this discussion.

Is there a particualr thread, or place I can go to see the examples of the lens powers?

There's been some discussion about my region, I live in indiana, it's the home of corn so I have a lot of farmland fortunatly where I can get some nice dark views, though I'm sure not a nice a many.

Is there a good spot to go to learn about all the different types of scopes as well, likke refracting, dobsonian etc. I was on an ebay store that had casegrain, dobsonian, etc, I"m not really sure about the terminology and purpose of each type of tele.

Telescope magnification is calculated by dividing the telescope focal length with eyepiece focal lengths, so when you use a 10mm eyepiece with a telescope with focal length of 1000mm, you get a magnification of 1000/10=100x

Have a look at these primers, they give a good introduction to different types of telescope and equipments.

Primers and Tutorials - Stargazers Lounge

http://stargazerslounge.com/primers-tutorials/37998-primer-choosing-telescope.html

http://stargazerslounge.com/primers-tutorials/37999-primer-telescope-types.html

http://stargazerslounge.com/primers-tutorials/63184-primer-understanding-choosing-eyepieces.html

Archived