Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

nathanhatton

solar flair trouble

viewing not very good tonight getting shimmer off everything i look at. think this is due to the solar storm not a happy bunny :D

Just heard on the media here in the US that "little, if none at all" damage has been reported with GPS and power grid structure. Though most commercial flights over the pole have been diverted from the area due to lack of HF radio comms from a geomagnetic storm (which is a common condition), all is fine and we survived the CME - chalk one more up for "chicken little"!

I don't think the seeing conditions have anything to do with the solar activity unless of course you have one of those pesky auroras blocking your view.

Anyway, it's still going on, the storm is at KP6 now with forecast KP7 possible. So if it's dark and your North enough keep an eye out.

viewing not very good tonight getting shimmer off everything i look at. think this is due to the solar storm not a happy bunny :D

Yes, seeing was poor last night. Mars so wobbly, even at low power. Most likely the influence of the dissipating jetstream in our atmosphere rather than anything directly solar.