NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Astro calculation Application?

buzz

I have seen a few simple iphone apps for calculating magnification. Has anyone seen anything more advanced, with all the imaging and observing calculations built in too? (like those on wilmslowastro)?

regards

Chris

Hasn't your iPhone got a calculator on it?

Probably a free one out there somewhere. Download one.

Then enter the scope focal length, usually written on the scope, then read the eyepiece focal length.

Once you have entered the scope focal length press the divide dutton and enter the eyepiece focal length, then press the = sign. The number displayed is the magnification.:hello2::D

See instant app, for what is a very, very simple piece of arithmatic. A pen an bit of paper works just about as well and may actually be quicker.

I am one of the cheapskates, don't have an iphone and paper is too expensive, just do it in my head.:):eek:

thanks - the eyepiece stuff was not really a bother to me - I was looking for all the other calculations too:

arc-seconds per pixel, fov for sensor, arc-second limit for scope, exit pupil - that kind of thing.

I have the HP41CV calculator app for the iphone - maybe I'll just program it and then share it.

Archived