Problem with collimation

So I have this srange problem. Well, strange to me. I got my first telescope, SkyWacher 10" collapsible. I tried it out last night. Pointed it to the moon and it was incredibly blury. However i focused it. I then pointed it to mars, and the same. Very very blury. I used 48x magnification. The thing is that i let the telescope cool off. So i figured that the problem is collimation.

So today I tried to collimate it. I made a collimating device like it said in the instruction that came with the telescope. I looked through the hole. It says that if it is properly collimated, everything should be in the center and i should see all of the three screws. And everything was in the center more or less, but i didn't see any of the screws. If it is not properly collimated, i should see only one or 2 screws, but it wasn't the case.

And that's problem number 1. Problem number 2 is even stranger to me. When I looked at the moon, it was just blury. thats it .But when I looked at some stars, they were blury AND there was some kind of cross on them, kinda like on the finderscope. I don't get what was that.

If anyone has and opinions and could help, i would truelly apreciate it..

The cross it just the spider holding the secondry causing difraction lines. But the scope not focusing is strange, could be collimation or not enough focus travel? can you get a focus by moving the eyepiece out of the focuser.

Hi, it might need collimation to get the best views but you should see something. You need to slowly adjust the focus inwards / outwards, to far either way and all you will get is spider vane or nothing. Might be worth setting up in the daylight and trying a distant building ?

if its still blurry tonight try aiming at a bright star and racking well out of focus, the pattern should be a blacker circle in the middle with a whiter circle around it ... search for star test / collimation

Good luck

Archived