Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

tripod for astrotrac + head

garethmob

hello guys :D my apoligies for all these posts

now i may have found an astrotrac but for the tripod

i may be able to get around £350 spare after buying it, but what would be the best tripod to use on them

i guess the options are the astrotrac peer First Light Optics - Astrotrac TP3065 Pier

or a manfrotto tripod

also on the head front the AT wedge http://www.firstlightoptics.com/astrotrac/astrotrac-tw3100-wedge.html or a manfrotto 410 jouner geared head

i can only really afford one of the 2 of them

i'll be using all the lens in my sig (maybe not the 200) and possiably the megrez when iv saved enough up for guiding

so long term which would be better for now i wouldnt want to buy one to have to upgrade it in 6 months because its not strong enough

thanks guys

gaz

Lol thanks Peter ur a star :D

They are fairly expensive but It's the old adage. I can get one of them now which is worth it

Would it be better getting a eq peer like eq5 or heq5/6 one? And get a plate made up with the correct bolt?

What about heads? And ball heads. I have a head I bought off here a while ago but I'm not sure it is strong for everything. Maybe just camera and lens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Between the Tripod (or Pier) and the Astrotrac you need a mount (or wedge) that allows precise adjustment to get accurate polar alignement.. for pointing the scope at the target at reasonable focal lengths you can get probably away with a "decent" ball and socket head... a Geared head will probably allow finer control of the framing...

Peter...

Thanks Peter :D.

Does any one own a az3 mount? And what way do you attach a scope to it (dovetail or direct scope rings)

As the az3 has fine tune controls for up an down.

Could I attach the AT to it by a dovetail with camera 1/4 screw directly and get the polar scope aligned like that. Then just use one head for camera to AT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally I'm very happy with the wedge. I keep it attached to the Astrotrac and simply screw them on to my light weight carbon fiber tripod when I want to use it. Works a treat.

I think a photographic tripod is preferable to the pier because you'd also have it for general photography. There's plenty to choose from out there and if weight isn't an issue you could save by getting an aluminium model instead of the more expensive carbon fiber. I would just advise that you to go for the best you can afford and the same for a B/S head. Think of it as a long term investment that will serve you well for years.

I use a Gitzo tripod that I've had for about 15 years and, after a trying several heads from different manufacturers (all sagged under heavy loading), have settled with a Really Right Stuff B/S head. Both are excellent but also pricey. If I was looking for cheaper alternatives I'll go with Manfrotto.

I'm taking them to SGL7 and you're welcome to check 'em out if you're going too...

Archived