NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Vixen ED102SS

John

Here are some photos of the scope I've posted a 1st light report on in the reviews section:

image.jpg

image.jpg

The dew cap is flocked and I think I can see 7 or maybe 8 baffles.

image.jpg

I hope I'll have a chance to compare APO or semi-APO to my simple achro someday as well :wink:

Well at least they are within reach of us mere mortals now thanks to the Synta ED scopes.

John

Maybe not a place for this question.. but, how does the EQ3 seam to handle it? i know you haven't had a chance of trying this at night.. but, anyway :wink:

It seems very stable but, as you say, I've yet to use that mount / scope combination under the stars. I've always thought the EQ3-2 a decent mount but let down a little by the aluminium box section tripods they supply as standard. As you can see my EQ3-2 has the 1.5 inch steel pipe tripod which makes a big difference to the overall capability of the mount IMHO. I'm purely a visual astronomer which also makes a difference - for imaging I guess I'd need an HEQ5 with this scope. Also at F6.5 the Vixen has a relatively short tube - if it was an F8 I think an EQ5 would be the minimum I could get away with.

For a laugh I stuck a 6 inch F8 refractor tube on to my AZ-3 alt-az mount once - now that WAS wobbly :shock:

John

Archived