Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Finally I get it

rowan46

I have had bins for years never really used them for much but got a new pair off the daughter and mrs a couple of days ago. Nothing super extraordinary just a pair of pentax xcf 10x50. Normally with bins I stare at the sky for 5-mins and put them away because I have a neck ache. But as they were a present I thought I would persevere. So tonight I took a tripod and a chair What a difference first time I have ever seen jupiters moons in bins normally I can't keep the hands steady been out for 2-hours no neck ache finally I get them I am thinking of flogging my scope and getting larger bins now.

Quick question

Is there a tripod with spikes on the end I used the tripod with only 2 legs extended like an A frame. Is there a tripod that has spikes on the end rather than rubber feet? I figure it wouldn't skitter about so much then.

Quick question

Is there a tripod with spikes on the end I used the tripod with only 2 legs extended like an A frame. Is there a tripod that has spikes on the end rather than rubber feet? I figure it wouldn't skitter about so much then.

Many tripods have spikes in the rubber feet, you twist them up (the rubber bits are are threaded onto the spikes) so then once the rubber bit goes up the leg, the spike protrudes from the end.

If yours does not it's a feature to look out for with a new tripod. Some of the best tripods have assorted feet that can be deployed in differing conditions, from spikes to rubber feet, then suctions cups, and even snow shoes, covering uses in many tricky environments.

The Horizon 8115 has spikes and rubber feet as well as being a very stable and rigid tripod. Buying this tripod took my binocular viewing to a new level.

Not the cheapest bit of kit (but a lot cheaper than some of the photographic names kicking around). Excellent VFM.

This web site also describes various other ways to mount a binocular (and the aauthor posts on these forums...)

Archived