Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Webcam for Skywatcher

stevepenny

Hi,

I'm sure this question has been asked a hundred times already (although I have looked LOL) but can anyone help with how to adapt a cheap webcam for use with a Newtonian Reflector.

It's a Skywatcher 130 and the Webcam is a 'Cheap & Cheerful' from Argos at a cost of about £9.99. I know it's cheap but i'm using it to work out the principle before splashing out on something more expensive if nessecary. The Webcam is basically a 1" (2.5cm) Ball with a lens that completely unscrews.

The difficulty seems to be how to find the optimum focus!! I have thought of attaching it to a tube that will slide over a standard EP. If it were a snug fit it shouldn't be too difficult to keep it in the right place; but is this the best way of doing it?

My solution above will involve leaving the lens attached but I suppose I could remove the lens if I could work out how to focus the image directly on the sensor!

Any help will be appreciated....

Thanks

To use a webcam for imaging you first remove the lens and attach one of these First Light Optics - 1.25" nosepiece to webcam lens thread (ToUcam Pro SPC900NC) in its place. If the webcam doesn't use the normal M12 x 0.5 thread lens adapter you make have to make a suitable one from an old eyepiece 1.25" nosepiece. The modified webcam then takes the place on the eyepiece in the focuser tube.

Peter

Hi Peter,

Many thanks for your reply. I'm being a bit thick today but if I use a nosepiece adaptor to allow the webcam to replace the EP; where does the magnification come from?

Is there no way that I can attach the webcam to a 10mm EP?

Thanks

Archived