Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NEQ6 - slight play in Dec shaft

Black Knight

In an effort to try and get round stars (groan), I'm trying to eradicate any possible causes of flexure in my system. I have noticed that there is very slight rotational play in the Dec shaft. Is this normal, or something I should be looking to address?

Yes it is normal and you cantry to adjust it. Go to Astro-baby website and look at the adjusting section for the eq6.

I have just put mine back together and still have slight play in the dec.

Read astro baby's website and take it from there.

Only strip the mount if there's a good reason to otherwise you'll start obsessing (it's not too difficult though)

I had play in the Dec with mine as well, when delivered. Followed AB's excellent walk-through and it's almost completely gone. Any tighter and the gears bind during a full rotation at high speed, so I am happy it's as good as I'm going to get it. I'm barely qualified to wield an Allen key and I did it, so you should be fine :)

Archived