Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Best time to image Mars

JohnnyD333

Hello SGL,

Its been a long time since Ive been on SGL, I recently moved and I haven't been able to observe or image for a while. It has been too long and I made it my mission to get my rig up and running this weekend. I have set my sights on Mars and I was wondering if it is best to wait until the planet is high above the horizon before I start imaging? Will it make a noticeable difference if I wait for Mars to be "high in the sky" or should I give it a shot as soon as its visible above the tree line? Thanks everyone, its nice to be back:icon_salut:

Mars is at opposition (actually was - on 3rd March) so is as big as it is going to get for this time round. As Mars is at a low declination it would be best to wait (whether permitting) until it is at or about due south and therefore at its highest in the sky.

Archived