Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ED80 DS Pro on a Horizon 8115?

Johnboy2011

I don't know the limits of the Horizon, so can't really advise you directly on it, but I frequently put my Celestron 80ED on my redsnapper tripod.. for occasional visual but more frequently for grab and snap single shot SLR images of the moon and sun (with appropriate filters). I've even used it as a spotting scope at the nature reserve, but the speed of focussing leaves something to be desired for the birds in flight :p. The redsnapper is rated for 10Kg on the legs and the 3 way head for 6.5Kg.

Check the weight of what you want to put on it, check the weight limit of the tripod and make a judgement... if you're happy to take the risk that might be involved, go for it.

I regularly use my WO ZS70 (same tube as a Megrez 72) on my Horizon. It's fine for such a compact scope. Scope weighs about 3 kilos but that is about the limit I would have thought. I certainly wouldn't mount my Megrez 90 on it.

post-13618-133877740095_thumb.jpg

Archived