first scope and need advice.

Hi peeps you prob get this all the time but I need help with a scope. been looking at a few scopes and the one that stands out is this one

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian

I've got a budget of about £300 all in. I really want it for viewing not really into taking pics yet as I'm a nooby. Also what will I need to get so I can watch the Venus transit in June?? Please help

Dave

I have the 300P and I check the collimation every session at the start. It usually needs re-collimating every one or two sessions - especially if it's been moved. For this you'll need a collimation tool - Cheshire and Laser colimators seem to be the favoured types - I use a laser. The 200P might get away with 2 or 3 sessions before requiring adjustment being a solid tube whereas mines a truss tube. Hope that helps :p

Hi dave,

For the money, Skywatcher are a well known brand in general. The dobs are also the most sturdy but inexpensive kind of newtonian - and unless you get goto synscan technology (not as amazing as it may sound) then the dob is the most straightforward mount, you just grab it and swivel it round to look at things. As for adjustment, all newtonians (reflectors) will need to be collimated frequently, not always right away but sooner rather than later you will need a collimator. They arent expensive but you will definitely want to check the web for how-to's and tutorials. I had a bit of trouble to begin with but get a cheshire eyepiece and read up on it, its worth it in the end.

Good choice on the scope, for the money that sort of thing is going to be your best bet for both aperture size and simplicity. The only issue might be the portability, its probably bigger than it looks in the pics, and heavy to keep carrying outside.

From one noob to another, best of luck.

Archived