Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Star diagonal conundrum

Well here's a puzzle, which is almost self explanatory but wondering if anyone has a neat solution or way round it.

My new (to me) revelation ED80 will not come to focus with my 2" star diagonal. Seems as though it makes the light path too short as the focusser wants to rack in further.

I have a really cheep nasty 1.25" which works with it, as does my DSLR. Anyone come across this with their scope?

I'm guessing I know the answer - buy another good quality 1.25". Shame though, as I have a couple of nice 2" EPs I would like to use with this scope.

If it's any consolation I found the same when I tested a £1,500 TAL 125mm apochromat. Maybe your scope is optimised for imaging ?

The solutions would be to shorten the tube or fit a lower profile focuser. Neither very easy or desirable though.

If it's any consolation I found the same when I tested a £1,500 TAL 125mm apochromat. Maybe your scope is optimised for imaging.

Not quite in the same league as a £1500 TAL, but I spose it might be set up for imaging. It was nice not to have an enormous ovehang out the back of the scope last night.

Going to go find a diagonal then....

Archived