Large filament 25th Feb

Stu

Anyone else seen the very large looping filament which is pretty much centre stage at the moment?

Weather is lovely here today, sunny and warm, only a few light clouds around.

Some nice prominences around too, one to the north (in my PST) like a wide sheet of flame, and one to the west more jet like heading straight out. Plenty of detail to see, quite alot of surface granulation visible today too

Stu

First time I ever viewed through a solar telescope today, so still learning the lingo.

I made out a large group of filaments to the lower left of my view which appeared to be connected together, though probably are just four or so prominences in a line.

Also saw quite a long prominence in the lower right, and a large looking cloud in the lower left. There was what looked like a loop to the upper right near one of the sunspots.

Looks like I chanced upon a good day for my first viewing.

I've just picked up a secondhand PST this morning - I like!

Interesting to see the changes over short timescales too

I can see how this gets addictive!

Yeah, I can see the filament in front and centre, the hedgerow prominence and the spiky prominence. Pretty!

Archived