SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First light with Lunt LS60 B1200

jonathan

I've had to wait a week (I work during current sunlight hours) but it was well worth it. After fumbling with the focus at first, I eventually found the right configuration of blocking filter (the diagonal) draw tube and focus extent to achieve good focus, and wow - there it was in my 8SE kit Celestron 25mm eyepiece, the sun as a fiery red ball. Couldn't really see much by way of detail at this magnification, but I got it nice and sharp before proceeding to try out my X-Cel 10mm; here I saw a lot of detail, and as I tuned using the Pressure Tuning System I could see surface details, sun spot detail, surface texture, and prominences really come into sharp focus and detail. Very impressed!

I tried it first of all on my large old camera tripod, but as the sun moved out of view it quickly became apparent that the telescope was too heavy to allow smooth adjustments, it became a task in predicting where the tripod head would come to rest after I had tightened it (this doesn't happen with my DSLR or binoculars).

solartelescope1.jpg

The TeleVue Solar Finder worked brilliantly though, I didn't need to adjust it for approximate finding.

I decided to try it out on my EQ1, and while it was a bit annoying that the rings did not fit further back on the scope, it was secure enough (but just back-heavy) with them on the main white tube.

solartelescope2.jpg

The scope is mounted on it's side, otherwise the focus knob would interfere with the handle. The EQ1 was much better - precise controls with no backlash, I had to remove the clam shell though so will have to find another mounting option for the Solar Finder (possibly velcro).

solartelescope4.jpg

The Pressure Tuning System is really easy to use - first it has to be unscrewed all the way and removed from the large brass thread to allow the local air pressure to enter the system, then it is threaded back on. I found that I got best results when the black handle was threaded almost all the way in, only a couple of the brass threads still visible.

For a first time out, and during a very quiet day for the sun according to online sources, I have been chuffed to bits with the views I got today, very glad I went for the B1200 and Pressure Tuning System.

As my ordinary 10mm showed so much detail I may go ahead and buy a decent 8-24mm zoom eyepiece for this scope so that I don't have to raid my eyepiece case every time (the LS60 case has holes for eyepieces). I have read that the Baader Hyperion 8-24mm is pretty good, and easy to attach a DSLR to.

solartelescope5.jpg

Archived