NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

new slr camera

dave6666

hi guys .

after some excellent advice from this site i upgraded to a two inch ep and diagonal for my 8 se nextstar and was going to post some basic but nice photos from my four thirds olympus e400 camera on here sadly it gave up the ghost so had to get a new one which is the nikon d5100 but sadly having real problems getting any decent pics so need some help please

I have D80, all i change is the ISO to 1600, put it in "BULB" mode, and on the front right side on the lens near the bottom thrown a switch over to manual, also set the rotary switch to manual on the top, are you using a T-ring and Adapter, or a lens built for camera to be attached like the Baader Hyper's they have a thread on the eye piece the 24mm requires a 2" extender on my Scope.

The "Lounge" is NOT the place to ask astro-photo questions! Hop over to the Imaging forum and you will get dozens of willing mentors to help you out.

I will say to start, however, that the Nikon cameras are not capable of more than 30 second exposures, unless you get one of those shutter control devices, set the camera to "bulb" as you have already discovered, and then sent the controller for multiple exposures for as long a time period as such factors as light pollution, clock driven tripod accuracy, etc. allow. Generally, you may be pushing your luck with anything more than 30-60 second exposures, unless you have a "guided" tripod. There are MANY factors to be considered, so read all the sticky notes you can find on this forum, and then ask questions about those points you do not understand.

Good luck ! Jim S.

Thanks guys typical newbie. Now I am in the right place and reading a few posts most ppl like the canon for astro work but my Nikon should in theory knock the canon s lower end slrs into orbit. So must be doing something wrong I do take the point about the frame rates but simple moon shots done on a straight prime with t ring and adapter which is not hard is less than sharp and positively blurry

hi john got it sorted now it wasnt the camera it was the weight of the camera and the new 2 " diagonal. when tracking was vibrating so moved the weight forward and added a bit of weight on the dewshield and so the tracking is running smoothly now.sadly not my idea but a friend of mine who pointed it out but thanks for the imput

Archived