RAW vs Jpeg??

Evening everyone..

Once again I need your advise and expertise! Im sure this question has been asked already so im sorry if im repeating but I feel like I am going round in circles!

1. What are the benefits in shooting pics in RAW mode?

2. I have taken a few practice shots, but I cant open them on my computer - I have looked at plugins but as I only have photoshop 7 this doesnt seem to exist?

3. I can convert them to Jpeg but what is the point in this - surely I may as well take them in Jpeg in the first place??

4. Can you use RAW on programs like Deep Sky Stacker?

I dont want to take hundred of photos only for someone to tell me I should be using RAW but I dont want to take hundred of photos in RAW only to find I cant do anything with them!

Thanks in advance

Very Confused! :D:confused::)

Comments inline :p

Evening everyone..

Once again I need your advise and expertise! Im sure this question has been asked already so im sorry if im repeating but I feel like I am going round in circles!

1. What are the benefits in shooting pics in RAW mode? Depth of data, JPEGs are a (highly) compressed format

2. I have taken a few practice shots, but I cant open them on my computer - I have looked at plugins but as I only have photoshop 7 this doesnt seem to exist? Might need to install the drivers for your camera, or get/update the RAW plugin for PS?

3. I can convert them to Jpeg but what is the point in this - surely I may as well take them in Jpeg in the first place?? See comment 1

4. Can you use RAW on programs like Deep Sky Stacker? Yes

I dont want to take hundred of photos only for someone to tell me I should be using RAW but I dont want to take hundred of photos in RAW only to find I cant do anything with them!

Thanks in advance

Very Confused! :D:confused::)

Hi

To keep it simple RAW format is a digital negative and contains much more information than a jpeg (over and under exposed part of the pictures contrast and brightness can be changed to reveal hidden information).

As far as I am aware you will also need to convert all the RAW images to JPEG before they are processed

If you take the pictures with the correct settings you should be able to get the results you want with out needing the extra data from the RAW format.

Hope this has helped

Paul

Sent from my Android tablet

To follow on from Kheldar's comments... as you have a newer camera, the chances are that PS7 isn't going to have the codec for your camera... You'd need to upgrade to a newer release. THe other option would be to use something like UFRaw for decoding... not sure if it can push the converted data direct to PS though. You can just shoot jpg, but the adjustment capabilities are far greater on raw to the greater bit depth and lack of compression.

Having said that... there's nothing wrong with shooting jpg for normal photography, if you prefer. If you're wanting to shoot AP though, you really should use RAW for the greater bit depth.

I'm an astronomy newbie so I don't know the best way from an astronomy point of view but my photography knowledge would point me to shooting in RAW. The RAW images are unmodified raw data straight from the cameras sensor, that has to be better than a compressed jpg image which your camera has already had a play with and compressed.

BTW On my Canon EOS I have the option to save both at the same time, RAW+JPG so you at least have a copy of each image type. It might be worth looking if you have that option as well, but for me RAW would be the better option over JPG

Can only echo what's been said on here. I shoot RAW & JPEG, but would recommend shooting RAW every time. RAW gives you the option to tinker with more shot settings than JPEG, e.g. exposure, white balance - you can't do this with a JPEG, but you first need to get a plug-in which will work with your Nikon (sorry, have a Canon!)

The basic answer is yes... but I'd think you'd want to transfer the files to the computer rather than leave them on the card for the stacking. DSS creates a bunch of temporary files during the processing, so you might have space issues and much slower performance.

Ok thanks ill try that - was just worried about spending time taking photos in RAW and then finding I cant do anything with them! Also it worries me that I cant open the photos on my computer when I save them into a folder.

Ill try that tho - save into folder from memory card and transfer to DSS still in RAW then convert to JPEG for processing in PS.

Thanks to everyone for all your help and advice :D

Claire xx

Claire, Not sure on the latest windows, but XP certainly can't display RAW images without some external help. There are numerous programs you can use to view/edit them... you could use UFRaw as a simple basic RAW decoder as I mentioned earlier. Not sure if the current version of DSS can read the D5100 RAW's or you'd need the newest beta release, you'd have to try it and see.

Archived