Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Manual guiding with a webcam

Does anyone do this?

If so, do you use off axis guiding or a guide scope?

I'm keep to give it a go, since I know I wont get as much satisfaction out of it if I let a computer do all the work to get my image.

Doubt if anyone does any manual guiding for long. It is mind-numbingly tedious and unreliable. Good luck, but I really don't think letting the computer do the tedious work takes away any of the satisfaction! Rather, it allows you to concentrate on the more interesting and productive aspects of the hobby.

Does anyone do this?

I'm not exactly certain what you mean - but YES since my telescope is completely manual .

Consequently I have to move the telescope by hand so that the image from the spc880nc (unmodified) webcam is displayed on the computer screen.

I usually let the image 'run' across the screen and then move the telescope so that the image is back to its start position.

However, using even a low 2x barlow more than doubles the problems of finding , focusing and tracking a planetary image

However, if you mean using a webcam as part of a feed back loop to automatically drive the telescope then the above response is invalid.

regards

Tony

Archived