colour filters

morning sports fans! after having a think last nite i wanna get some good basic red blue green filters for with ep's and the webcam for imageing and stacking...i am just starting out in planerty imageing so forgive me newbie question so early in the morning......any comments welcome

I'd have thought you would be better off adjusting gain/exposure to reduce brightness otherwise I think you will end up with an odd situation where you will be filtering with say a red filter and then the camera will filter again as it obviously has a built in filter.

Webcams are normally used with their own filter removed and a 1.25" adapter fitted. The minimum you will probably want is an IR cut filter as the sensors are very sensitive to IR, meaning you will lose detail without the filter.

You can indeed achieve better results using RBG filters as you suspected steely. Through a red filter, the image is often more detailed which is why capturing each channel separately can result in better planetary detail.

I should add that I haven't tried planetary imaging with filters myself yet, having also only recently forayed into it.

Okay that's food for thought. I dunno if I could get into the webcam as it's tiny and I'd probably wreck it in the process. Duty I'll have a look at it...I see what you mentioned about the filters bringing out the detail....I have actually got a 80 blue and a 25 red that came with Barlow...the blue did sharpen up saturn and Mars a bit...the red was way to dark to see anything at all....all help.welcotme

Must admit I'm getting a bit lost on this. Are you wanting to do LRGB colour filter imaging which is done with a mono camera or are you just looking for filters to improve on light polution and coloured filters to highlight different features?

No you won't need an LP filter! Planets are so bright that LP is not really a problem. Just an IR cut filter, you can get them for around £25. I don't know about the MS webcam you have, but with the SPC900, the filter is integrated with the lens unit, so removing it removes the filter hence the need for a 1.25" IR cut filter.

Edit: When I say you don't need an LP filter, I just mean for planetary.

Archived