telescope advice - Celestron LCM 80

Its a refractor type scope and at this price point it is very likely to have lots of false colour on bright objects. it is also a long focal length at 900mm, which means it will have a very narrow view. Because of its high focal ratio this makes it most suited for planetary and moon viewing and maybe double stars. It's not a great scope for deep space because of its small apparture.

Hi Colin

If you only want to look at the Moon with it and Jupiter's 4 moons

this will do, but you would be better with a Newtonian scope then if you want to take pictures you can, you would have to spend a bit more but that is better then

getting this scope and wanting to change it or have to sell it on and lose money

6 to 8" will do great, if you want to do visual only like me then a Dobsonian 200P will do nice

Clear skies

Doug

I'd forget goto on that budget, I initially bought the Celestron 114lcm and was very disappointed. The tripod is wobbly, the Star Pointer as good as useless and even if the GoTo can aim the scope at objects, there is little point if you cant see them. I took it back and got a Skyliner 150P and delighted.

Archived