SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

...which webcam for imaging??

c3po

Hi all,

i know that, by far, the most popular WebCam for imaging is the SPC900NC (or the 880NC flashed to a 900NC), but given the extreme lack of these on the market at even affordable prices, i wondered where i should start looking for a reasonable webcam for planetary and the odd DSO imaging session...for example would, say, a CMOS based Logitech QuickCam Messenger (amongst many others in its class) be of any use at all, and if so what could I expect from this kind of webcam....

are there any 'rules' i need to follow that would get me a webcam for astro imaging on the cheap?

thanks all for the replies, especially the link from FlyingPig.

I've had a look at that thread and decided on the XBox Live web cam as a starting point, its only a few quid and if it works will give me a great starting point! Also, i gather that there are a few users here with the XBox Live web cam so i can ask if i get stuck and pick up tips from their wrong doings!

thanks again all!

thanks all for the replies, especially the link from FlyingPig.

Glad to have been of help :D

Definitely worth having a play with the Xbox Live cam at £4 or £5 each. I'd have a go myself if I didn't already have an SPC900NC and my proper Astronomy Camera my Imaging Source DBK41AU02.AS which is basically similar but more professional with a superior CCD and cooling. See here astronomycameras if your interested

Archived