NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Dusat on Philips Webcam

YorkieGraham

Hi,

Can anyone suggest how I should tackle the problem of spots noticeable on my live feed from my Philips webcam. They are most noticeable when imaging the moon and appear as grey out of focus spots. I think it might be dust on the chip but I might be wrong. Has anyone had this problem and if so how did they get rid?:D

They sound like dust spots (known as 'dust bunnies' I believe). Carefully cleaning the chip and/or any barlow and/or filter is the only way to remove them from a live feed. If you are recording a video for image capture, if you move the camera slighty (or allowing it to drift) and take a large number of frames, the stacking process will remove them as long as they are clear of initial alignment points.

If it is dust on the chip then an air blower, (like the 'squeezy' types that you use one a camera), should do the job. If you use the air duster aerosol make sure the nozzle is slightly up as you may end up getting some of the condensed air onto the chip too.

Thanks Kev, that looks interesting, I might invest. Is it necessary to buy the loupe magnifier, can you use the magnifying Loupe on the philips with the chip right inside?

Well I don't use one, and would not think it necessary for a webcam sensor, as it is easy enough to see if you have done a good job once connected to the PC.

Archived