Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mars - 18/19 February 2012

DarkerSky

A super view of Mars at around midnight. Best view so far this apparition. Set up my 8.5" scope at x220 magnification. Used a red filter to boost contrast and got a really exciting view with seeing at about AII-III.

Mars sketch

8.5" x220 magnifcation

CM - 007 degrees

23.50UT

Mars-18Feb2012.png

The NPC has shrunk quite a bit since my last go at Mars about a month ago. It didn't seem that obviously bright either. Not as bright as I know it can be. The phase was undetected. I think we are at 99% illumination now.

The most obvious feature was mare Acidalium riding from the NPC towards the centre of the disc. It was dark on its NPC boundary, almost cutting into the NPC.

To the south (top) was Sinus Sabaeus and Sinus Meridiani looking distinctly darker and more nodular-like. The break of lighter material between it and Mare Erythraeum was obvious. Also noted fainter markings below Mare Erythraeum, which I think constituted Aurorare Sinus. Margaritifer Sinus was alson seen dipping down diagonally towards Sinus Meridiani.

Noted fainter / low contast markings moving out across the disc from Acidalium near the centre of the disc. A good view of the darker material that bounds the Arabian / Eden area to its north.

Lighter patches were seen, most notably on the South-following limb near Aurorae Sinus and along the south polar area.

This has given me a real taste for Mars again this year. Looking forward to more obs sessions.

• 2 weeks later...

Smashing sketch. I have one fro the other night that I need to scan in and upload. I didn't get so much of the darker equatorial features though. Just the polar cap and a couple of dark stripes top and bottom.

Archived