NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

dec setting

ive just got a 200p on eq5 and in the instruction manual it says that the dec scale is factory set and shouldn't need calibrating. the thing is the dec ring turns freely and i can't see any locking screw. is this right or should it only move when the scope does.OR am i making a newbie error? your help would be greatly appreciated. thank you for any help you can offer.

Don't worry about the setting circles on the EQ5. They don't work anyway. The graduations are in 2 degs increment, so roughly 4 times the diameter of the moon.

The dec circle on mine can be adjusted by hand, but it is tight enough that it will follow the dec axis.

The EQ5 setting circles are a waste of time to be honest,although the dec is slightly better than the RA.As long as you get a reasonable polar alignment and have a decent set of star charts to star-hop then that's really all you need:)

Archived