Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Milky Way

stevetynant

Hi all

Just to start by saying my main focus at the moment is on observing not AP but hopefully that will come in a few years when I can get some more gear - my question is - last night I went out and for the first time saw the Milky Way. I don't have a motorized mount on my scope - but is it possible to take a picture of the Milky Way with just a DSLR, a tripod and a wide angle lens? or would the exposure times required preclude this?

The kit I have is an Olympus E500 or (and although not DSLR)a cannon S95?

Just curious for the next time I'm observing at a dark sky site- thanks folks :)

Steve

Its not often I can help someone else- am more at the stage of listening more than talking!!

But in answer to your question - yes it is - Heres a page that Im going to use a guide for a planned visit to a dark sky spot

Dan’s Diary: How to Photograph the Milky Way

EDIT - Though I would say that a 30sec exposure will leave some star strails- I wouldnt go much above 5-6 secs and would compensate by adjusting the apature to 1 or 2 stops above minimum.

fantastic - that's exactly what I was hoping for - thanks so much Mark

I know a great dark sky spot that has a derelict pub in darkness to Siloutte against the Milky Way - got plenty of ambition not sure if the ability quite matches but thanks once again

Steve

I was out taking pics of the Milky Way last night, it wasn't very clear because of Plymouths LP but you can just about see it here http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-widefield-special-events-comets/176459-wide-field-last-night.html

Basically, you want to shoot in Manual,wide open (i.e. f/2.8 or fastest aperture poss) and at the widest focal distance your lens will go.

Theres also something called the 600 rule which is used so you don't get any motion blur in the stars. Divide your cameras focal length by 600, e.g for me 24mm divide 600 = max 25 sec exposure.

So last night I was shooting at 24mm @ 25s @ iso 1600-3200

No problem- it makes a change for me to be able to answer someone elses questions instead of sucking up knowledge from SGL!!

Ambition is a good thing - it drives us to take 1 good pic after many failled attempts!! You have to love the delete function on DSLRs!!

If you do get hold of a tracking mount at some point I saw another tip that said use a good powerful flashlight scanned over the object in the foreground on a long exposure to give it extra light and make it stand out.... but thats for the future!

Good luck and please post your results!

Mike- thanks so much for that - the videos great (although his camera is a few leagues up from what I have at the moment lol) - theres so much good info on this page now I've book marked it for future use- thanks once again

best regds Steve

Archived