NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What laptop power for imaging ?

kirkster501

Sorry, a bit of a open question I suppose, similar to "whats the best car....." I am thinking of a webcam connected to the laptop.

However, some guidelines? Would a 11' netbook be OK? How much CPU/RAM etc? I would do post processing on a i7 16 Gig desktop but I am referring to the laptop connected to the scope. This laptop would probably run Stellarium as well.

Thanks, Steve

I run a six year old ACER Aspire 5670, with a larger HD (as big as you can get!) and XP. (Don't even think of Win7!)

This controls all the scope and imaging etc. I use Cartes du Ciel, AstroArtV5, EQMOD, PHD, Artemis Capture, USB focuser, etc etc with three cameras and a spectroscope.

No problems

I can even connect to the warm office machine via TeamViewer.

Hope this helps.

I run a six year old ACER Aspire 5670, with a larger HD (as big as you can get!) and XP. (Don't even think of Win7!)

This controls all the scope and imaging etc. I use Cartes du Ciel, AstroArtV5, EQMOD, PHD, Artemis Capture, USB focuser, etc etc with three cameras and a spectroscope.

No problems

I can even connect to the warm office machine via TeamViewer.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Merlin. So it appears that a reasonable spec is sufficient and that post scope processing with registax etc is the big computer hog....

I might just have such a machine kicking around somewhere in the garage loft.... :)

Archived