Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Initial PI AutoSTF - the bear paw galaxy..

NickK

I tried finding this before but failed miserably - last night I had the vixen co mounted on the EQ6 with an eyepiece in as a second larger finder scope.

The way to find this is simple:

1. First find Talitha

2. follow the line along towards Castor

3. count 2 stars until you see 31 Lyn (HIP 41075). This is very easy to recognise with a second star sitting near by at 90 degrees from the path you've been following.

4. move 90deg away from 31 Lyn on the opposite side.. and near by you'll find 3 faint stars (vixen 80mm + 31mm ep can see these). These 3 stars are HIP 40149, 40125, 40119 which are mag 7-8.5 but they form a dead straight line that you can't miss.

5. follow the line up and there are two stars that make a like at 90 deg.. the last one being HIP 40195

6. Right nearby there's a little pair of close stars.. you've found the target!

So.. here is mag 11.7 bear paw galaxy (top left) and it's little friend IC2233 at magnitude 13 which is the long cigar type of galaxy.

This area is littered with little fuzzies!

The target seemed to also respond to RGB so I have a few tinting shots for that in a later reprocessing. This image is 7x300 with just a Baader Neodymium filter. The target responds very well to 600 second shots but the wind, and when packing up I found the scope was unbalanced, was making PHD go nuts.

post-22611-133877733965_thumb.jpg

I should learn how to process noise out with LRGB.. but here's a native resolution crop.
Great close-up Nick :) Here's my quick 'n dirty 60sec worth on Bear's Paw=NGC 2537 from tonight on zenith - an amazingly well titled object. There's another small gxy NGC 2537A to east :(

ps: I'm new to SGL - is it ok to post images on another's thread?

post-33671-133877734874_thumb.jpg

Archived