Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

This might be the one

After lots of advice from SGL members, my own little way of telescope simulation( Using paper rolls of 120 cm length and a torch as the finderscope), and having a small adjustable height chair, i find that dob might not be so irritating in locating the objects.I could easily use my simulated telescope. But now the problem stands at tracking. But hey I am an engineer after all, so thats a challenge for me. I have an idea for adding manual slow motion controls to alt-az mount. So i might get the dob over EQ3 mount. I need some recommendations from those who use/used it. Thank you.

Well my budget is around 300 B pounds but I am willing to stretch to 400 if it is that worth.I shall be keeping the scope in my house and will observe from the terrace above my house. And I live in a heavily light polluted city near highway with lots of street lamps. I can hardly see around 20-30 stars and planets included from the terrace with naked eye.

Hmmm...darker skies would be better, and you may have to invest in a decent light pollution filter. If you dont intend to do any imaging, then a Dob would be ideal for you, in that you can just store it upright and carry it to your observation area fairly simply. Once you have an object in view, it's not difficult to track with a dob.

Thank you. Your advice was far too relieving. I have been banging my head over which scope to get. I have some contacts in astro groups but I dont have that time to go there as it is around 10 hr trip or more and far away to a remote location. So i am choosing the scope blindly but with some knowledge and of couse your advice. Your reply made me feel much better.

Archived