Something to throw in the car

Any suggestions for what would be a good scope that would be considered portable.

I have an Explorer 200P on an eq5 with goto and feel its a bit of a handfull to pack it all in the car for moving around.

As I live in the city I'd like to be able to visit darker sky sites from time to time and would like something that's easier to lug around.

I'm still very new to this so I haven't progessed to the more obscure DSO's or to imaging yet. Just something for general viewing.

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers.

Get/make a Dobsonian mount for the 200P? :)

That's a good idea! If you went for a smaller scope, you would sacrifice many of the benefits of going to a DS site, as it would even out against apperture. As an alternative, you could buy a trolley for your gear and wheel it from the car!

Those very binoculars were the first thing I bought and which started me off on this long adventure (nobody warned me about this).

I would really love something that I could possibly see some of Saturns detail etc.

The binoculars don't do that for me, but maybe it's my eyesight :)

Thanks again for all your suggestions.

Cheers.

Archived