Log Books - show and tell

Hi,

I am settling back into observing having not touched a scope since I was about 12 years old. In this new flush of excitment, my recent observing has been a little haphazard, so I want to bring some order to the chaos.

I have decided a Log Book is the way to go.

If you keep a log-book, I'd be grateful if you would post a photo/scanned image of the completed notes from a night's observing, so I can see what kind of details you collect, what you record, times, weather, scope, eyepiece, sketches, etc, and how you lay it out.

Many thanks!

Tb

Usually a two stage process...

I use a Secretary spiral notebook at the scope to jot down the details etc and then (hopefully) the next day transcribe the rough notes into an A4 ledger notebook ( unlined pages one side, lined the other) any diagrams sketchs go on the unlined page and notes on the other.

I've been using basically the same system since 1960.

Nothing scientific for me.

Date, time, location if away from home.

Occasionally a note about the weather if hazy, cloudy, etc.

Objects seen - just listed if seen before, but always listed. Maybe a quick description of anything new. Maybe a (poor) sketch of anything I'm not sure of just so that I can cross reference when I'm back in the warm. (This was how I id'd Comet Garradd. I didn't recognise it as the comet while at the EP, but it was sitting nicely next to a GC so a sketch and some googling confirmed it later.)

I tend to make enough notes that I can look back at the book a few weeks later and know what I was trying to describe.

That's it really. Maybe a note of EP used against the sketch or how my observation compares to whatever book I'm using for reference.

I'll make a note of shooting stars or large satellites including their directions and constellations they cross.

Archived