Jupiter and moons

Just in from observing Jupiter ( between clouds) a first for me, are those really the moons I can see, three in a row and one opposite,

I know I'm seeing them inverted and I haven't got my head round which way up they are yet. Fantastic!1

Bucker

I'm a complete newbie and whilst playing around with some 10x50 binoculars I saw what I assumed was Jupiter but it was avery unimpressive image in my bouncy binoculars. I decided to see if my DSLR with a 300mm lens would fair any better especially as I could mount that on a camera tripod. I set up the camera and took an image of what I assumed was Jupiter.

I did several various length exposures using an external remote on bulb setting just to see how they would turn out. I didn't have an equatorial mount or anything so I knew I would just see a streak in the sky but at least I hoped that streak would be my view of Jupiter.

I couldn't see any moons at the time but when I loaded the image onto my computer I was amazed to also see four additional streaks of light. Its probably the worst Astrophotography image you will ever see but the streaks of its moons proved it was Jupiter. I'm still buzzing about it now and its definitely got me wanting to see more. :icon_scratch:

I can't wait to see it and Saturn through a real telescope. I really will be jumping for joy if I see Saturn's rings with my own eyes

Jupiter is an awesome sight every time. I would love to see her GRS.

Cypher, you should dive in and get a scope, you won't be disapointed by saturn, i could spend hours looking at those rings.

D.C

Cypher, you should dive in and get a scope, you won't be disapointed by saturn, i could spend hours looking at those rings.

I'm at the beginners phase of being completely confused by all the choices available. I think I've narrowed it down to about 50 different models so far, but my top pick changes day to day.

I've also seen that Sept - May appears to be the main viewing season which I hadn't really thought about before so I'm wondering if waiting for September might be a wiser move.

Archived