Skyliner 200p Dob - Storage Question

I noticed that when temperatures change you can get dew on the mirror in the shed, however dry.

To keep this away, I use a 5W reptile heating pad from ebay. This fits snugly in the bottom of the mirror cell.

I'd check daily to see if you get dew , especially as nights will be colder than days at this time of year.

I've not had a problem since getting heating pads.There's nothing more damaging than dew resting on a mirror for hours.

One can often hear of a rather geeky suggestion that, as it is being said that glass has some properties of liquid, that scopes are ought to be stored with the OTA in horizontal position to prevent gravitational deformation of the lens or the mirror in an asymmetrical manner. However, after a bit of research, you discover it is utter gobbledygook.

On a serious note, maybe getting some of those moisture-absorbing silica bags might be a good idea, should you store your newtonian away for a prolonged period of time :icon_scratch:

Archived