Mixing Filters

Hi all

I live next to Heathrow and my lpr filter does have a positive effect on my viewing. I have been wondering though (and not really had any time to get out and try it out).......If I want to view the Moon and have a lunar filter in, can I add the lpr filter and have the benefits of both or does one affect the performance of the other or even cancel it out? Another example would be say - viewing jupiter with a planetary filter + a lpr. Will filters work together? Perhaps in a particular stacking order only?

I thank you in advance for your tolerance if I am being dumb (newbie lol) but hey, where better to find out than the infinate collective of knowledge that is SGL.

If anybody has any hints, tips or experiences in this area, then errr....help! :icon_scratch:

Ed

Personally I cannot see how a LPR filter would help with Lunar observing as the Moon is not effected by LP.

You can observe the Moon from the centre of London without LP effecting the view at all. The seeing may not be the greatest due to air currents but no filter can help with that.

Regards Steve

Personally I cannot see how a LPR filter would help with Lunar observing as the Moon is not effected by LP.

You can observe the Moon from the centre of London without LP effecting the view at all. The seeing may not be the greatest due to air currents but no filter can help with that.

Regards Steve

I personally find that my Skywatcher LPF acts as a perfectly good moon filter.

I have said this for a couple of years and others have tried and tested it and agree.

The SWLPF gives a certain degree of contrast on the moon that a moon filter does not give.

Thats my findings.

I agree that LP does not affect your view of the moon. The LPF gives a different contrast then a moon filter.

Try it.

Archived