Help required

Hi All

I'm wanting to take a beginners course in Astronomy, so I start off on the right path. I live in Harrogate, North Yorkshire and was wondering if anyone knows of a course I could enrol on in Yorkshire?

Many thanks

Colin

Astronomy is a huge subject, so it depends on what you need such as just the very basics and finding your way around the sky all the way up to how the Universe and all in it was formed! There are some very good books out there on beginners' astronomy. (I'm sure someone on here will suggest some!) You could also do an OU short course. I did an Introducing Astronomy course, which seems to have been cancelled, but there's this one:

S177 - Galaxies, stars and planets - Open University Course.

If you want more hands-on, find a local astronomy group. You could try here, or do a search:

Federation of Astronomical Societies - Member Societies

You could also ask all your questions on SGL!

All the best!

Alexxx

Hi Collin,

I teach an astronomy course (not in your area, though!). Although I do post my labs and activities here for everyone to enjoy. You can search for posts with "My Astronomy Class" in the title - most have stuff attached you can download and have a go at.

Dan

I studied Astronomy GCSE online. The course covers the history of astronomy, basics about the physics of the universe, a grounding in observing in different types of astronomy and some practical work. It was really fun and informative, and I took it 5 years after I started observing!

Archived