Telescope Tripod for Camera

Hi,

My first thread here... be gentle.

While I am awaiting funding for my first scope, I have been using my Canon DSLR for photographing and making videos of the moon - and am fairly impressed with the results.

The problem I have is, the photo tripod tries to fall over when the angles get steep and I cant easily track. (loads of shaking)

I have been using the telescopic legs as my adjusters and this has been working - have to let the moon drift through the view.

What I am thinking of doing is getting a telescope tripod, either the Skywatcher AZ3 Alt-Az mount or the Skywatcher EQ2.

This would then allow some controlled grazing of the moon surface or even hold it in place for a few more minutes, by careful adjustments. And hope would not be trying to fall over.

I am using a 500mm lens in super crop mode and this works out around 3500mm focal length - without adding in the crop sensor value.

The whole thing is around 3kg. And does not allow any weight shifting or counter balancing. Especially when fully extended.

So would either of the telescope tripods above work for me, and would any be recommended over the other?

Many thanks in advance,

Drew

6840121647_d0124f74b5_z.jpg

Moon Tues07Feb2012 by drewpy46, on Flickr

Example still from super crop movie mode

Moon gazing 02.02.2012 - YouTube

Video link

Either of your suggestions would do for manual tracking. You can probably pick up a used EQ2 for around £50 to £60 second hand. You could fit an RA motor to it for automatic tracking as well (for £60'ish new).

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-ra-motor-drive-for-eq2.html

The big benefit of the EQ2 over the AZ3 would be the ability to polar align and track in a single plane - although the AZ3 is perhaps a tad more stable. Both have slow motion controls so it would definitely be better than photo tripod. :)

(I assume its for camera only so you would need a camera "L" adaptor for the mount - http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/camera-adaptor-plate-for-az3.html but phone them for info on this one and check it's what you need as there's no picture)

Thanks for the reply brant.

Yes, this would be for the camera only - with the bigma lens, its quite heavy and my tripods cant cope at the steep angles.

Plus I have to move the whole thing to re-align when the object moves out of view.

With the AZ3, it looks as though the weight would be too far back and would suffer the instability the current tripod does.

I like the idea of single plane tracking, so will probably go for an EQ2.

Need to find out about the camera mounting - "L" adaptor.

I don't know what saddle the the EQ2 has, but I just used a Dovetail to mount my 120-400mm Sigma lens to the mount with the camera attached to the lens.

I used the Deluxe Vixen Style Photo Dovetail and 1/4 inch Camera Screw from Modern Astronomy and it resulted in the lens/camera being well balanced. I assume the Bigma has the tripd adaptor ring on it?

EQ2 doesn't come with dovetail, I believe the OTA bolts directly to the mount. You will need EQ3-2 to get dovetail mounting.

If you are using a large supertelephoto, I think you should go for a EQ3-2 or EQ5 anyway. EQ2 is a fragile mount.

Hi Keith,

Yes it is a large telephoto plus battery brick. So around 3-4kg

Weight balance has been the issue on the photo tripod, as at steep angles it droops and can over balance.

The idea was to get a reasonably cheap tracking telescope tripod while the funds for a telescope are accumulated.

Looked at the price of the EQ3-2 and do like it.

Was a possiblilty for the final telescope, but may be too much just now for the camera.

Although, could be an investment, and get an OTA (is that the telescope on its own?), later.

And match the 2 together.

So get the final setup in 2 parts.... brain in overdrive ...

Hi Keith,

Yes it is a large telephoto plus battery brick. So around 3-4kg

Weight balance has been the issue on the photo tripod, as at steep angles it droops and can over balance.

The idea was to get a reasonably cheap tracking telescope tripod while the funds for a telescope are accumulated.

Looked at the price of the EQ3-2 and do like it.

Was a possiblilty for the final telescope, but may be too much just now for the camera.

Although, could be an investment, and get an OTA (is that the telescope on its own?), later.

And match the 2 together.

So get the final setup in 2 parts.... brain in overdrive ...

You're correct, the OTA is short for optical tube assembly, i.e. the telescope optics.

What's your budget.

May be you can consider a EQ3-2 and a Kenko Lens2scope adapter. Then you can use your camera lens as a telescope.

THK Photo Products, Inc.

You're correct, the OTA is short for optical tube assembly, i.e. the telescope optics.

What's your budget.

May be you can consider a EQ3-2 and a Kenko Lens2scope adapter. Then you can use your camera lens as a telescope.

THK Photo Products, Inc.

But then I would need a T camera adapter to get photos...:)

It feels like I am falling down a very deep rabbit hole...

Archived