Dark sky sites

I've been looking at the "Need less light pollition" website, for a decent dark sky site in my area, I have even started putting the link on my company emails, being a good cause an all.

I travelled the 20mins to the darkest point nearest me and counted 15 stars in orion, still 5 more than I can see from my back garden.

So I'm just interested as to how many stars others can see in Orion at their respective dark sites or viewing points?

I'm in Blackpool, so things are pretty bright around here. An hour is quite a trek to a dark spot, dedication to the past time! Next time your out let me know the amount of stars you can see in Orion. I know Pegasus is the usual gauge but I think thats impractical in a suburban enviroment given that we can just about see Orion. I'm just generally interested in what people consider a "dark sky" an how far they'll travel for one, so an hour's travel is a fair time.

I've just booked a week in Scotland, north of Loch Lomand, and according to the LP map its about as dark as you can get so I'll definetley be taking the scope with me.

I'm in Blackpool, so things are pretty bright around here. An hour is quite a trek to a dark spot, dedication to the past time! Next time your out let me know the amount of stars you can see in Orion. I know Pegasus is the usual gauge but I think thats impractical in a suburban enviroment given that we can just about see Orion. I'm just generally interested in what people consider a "dark sky" an how far they'll travel for one, so an hour's travel is a fair time.

I've just booked a week in Scotland, north of Loch Lomand, and according to the LP map its about as dark as you can get so I'll definetley be taking the scope with me.

Funny thing - I was just watching a video on YouTube about a guy stargazing at loch Lomand but even there you could see the faint glow of Glasgow (I think he said) - depends where you are on the Loch I guess and it still looked stunning - gonna be fun:icon_confused:

Archived