Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Two Jupiters and Shadow Transits

DarkerSky

A couple of cold February Jupiters from my 12" scope.

1 Feb 2012

17.30 UT

x192 magnifcation

Jupiter-1Feb2012.png

Nice capture of the GRS and Europa's shadow following it across the disc. Ganymede should have been visible as a lighter spot on the disc at the time, but i didn't see it.

7 Feb 2012

20.15 UT

x124 magnification

Jupiter7Feb2012.png

Io's shadow superimposed on the SEB close to the CM, with Io itself just exiting the disc on the left. It was -5c when I was sketching this one!

Excellent sketches. I've noticed the N. edge of the NEB seems to have got paler because the barges used to be completely surrounded by the dark material in the NEB but now look more exposed on their N. edges. Also, I wonder why the SEB always looks wider than the NEB, perhaps it's due to the presence of the GRS ??

Thats an interesting observation Alan about the barges becoming more detached. I have to be honest and say it's not something I've noticed that much, although I'm pretty sure the NEB has got thinner overall compared to this time last year.

The SEB seems to have been consistently broad since its re-emergence. I don't remember it being so broad compared to the NEB in years gone by.

My time is nearly up on Jupiter this year unfortunately. Losing it down over the top of my house. Probably only have about 2-3 weeks left of decent obs time :icon_salut:

Archived