Skymax 127 v Sky-Watcher EXPLORER 150PDS

bawddwr

Hi! folks. I have been looking at telescopes this pm and 'am more confused than ever! I was told that both the above 'scopes are of equal performance, even though one is much bigger than the other! As a novice to telescopes and in my mid 60s, what would others advise as a 'starter' telescope?

We caravan, and initially I was looking for something compact enough to carry around with us for use in the middle of a dark field on a moon and starlit night! Any suggestions of possible alternative that would be equally as good, if not better than the above please?

Your advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The one question became two! Sorry!

Thanks Peter. Yes, so it seems. I've just read a review by another member who suffers LP and the 127 seems to cope well. Must look at it again!

check out my m42 thread to see what pictures you can get on a 127

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

• 11 months later...

check out my m42 thread to see what pictures you can get on a 127

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Hi, could you put up a link to your M42 thread as I can't seem to find it and would be interested in looking at DSOs with the MAK.

Thanks

• 2 months later...

I absolutely love my skymax 127 , it is a VERY portable ,requires no maintenance and on top on the AZ4 is a joy to use .

Don't be put off by the longer focal length , most DSOs will fit in a 32mm EP , it is supposedly a lunar/planetary scope but

having spent the last couple of sessions in on Leo and Virgo , it has shown me galaxy after galaxy .

The best accessory you can give whatever scope you go with is a dark sky ...

Have fun

Yes I also have a Skymax 127 nice small powerful scope and VERY portable. I would warn against the Goto mount it is sometimes supplied with (unless you can mod it) as it does have a tendency to be a tad wobbly when focusing and in the slightest breeze.

Yes I also have a Skymax 127 nice small powerful scope and VERY portable. I would warn against the Goto mount it is sometimes supplied with (unless you can mod it) as it does have a tendency to be a tad wobbly when focusing and in the slightest breeze.

Very true , if the synscan is anything like the supatrak you would be in for a treat ...Not

Hi, could you put up a link to your M42 thread as I can't seem to find it and would be interested in looking at DSOs with the MAK.

Yes, please do. Always interesting to see someone doing something out of the ordinary with the little Mak.

James

Archived