Through the eyepiece photos

For some time I've thought it would be nice to take some photos through my eyepiece as records of my viewing.

My camera, a Sony HX1 is too heavy, but my wife needs a new camera (a replacement for her point and shoot Sony) and the lovely lady has said that once I've bought it for her I could borrow it for this new use. :icon_salut:

So I have found a bracket but the only compact camera I have found with manual focus (thanks to a SGL post) is the Canon Powershot S95 which is over my budget and is also over the top for my wife's needs.

So any other suggestions for a suitable compact camera under £200

Thank you that was excellent so I don't need manual focus just a modest amount of zoom and a lens the same sort of size as my eyepiece.

Still asking for recommendations for what anyone has actually used

you would get a second hand dslr for that sort of cash either a cannon or Nikon have a look on e bay for onei got a cannon 10d about 2 years ago for 85 quid with loads a goodies 5 batts 3 memory cards 2 lens, its worth have in a look spending 250 on a point and shoot seens a lot ,i would go for a second hand dslr

Canon EOS 10D 6.3 MP DSLR + COSINA 19-35 LENS & SIGMA 100-300mm COMPLETE KIT+++ (8714574914190) | eBay

some thing with live view would be better

In Astronomy the amount of light is fixed by the telescope not the camera lens. Now compacts have very small apertures, especially at wide field settings. This can be rectified by zooming. But this narrows the field of view somewhat. So you will lose a large chunk of the image. This is the main reason why DSLR's are better than compacts for afocal work.

I don't understand at all now. I want to record what my eye sees. I have watched the demo that makes an eye model and demonstrates that a small lensed compact is a good match for the eye. How can a large lens work? Replacing my eye with a huge and heavy camera would unbalance my supatrak mount.

So I have found a bracket but the only compact camera I have found with manual focus (thanks to a SGL post) is the Canon Powershot S95 which is over my budget and is also over the top for my wife's needs.

So any other suggestions for a suitable compact camera under £200

I bought my S95 for £189 at Christmas- I'm sure if this is the one you want you'll find it at about the £200 mark - its a real cracker and with the S100 out I would I think it should be falling in price all the time.

Archived