My First Images (Nikon D60)

Ok, so I have a Nikon D60 with the standard VR 18-55mm lens and tripod. These were taken from my back garden in Wiltshire on 16th Jan 2012.

DSC_0352.jpg

Orion

DSC_0344.jpg

Pleiades

DSC_0342.jpg

This pic shows the light pollution from Swindon when I look North.

I was pleased with the pics but is there anything I can do to make them better (i.e. longer exposure)? I'm a total newbie at this.

Well done, a few nice shots there.

Another great thing to try without the need for any extra equiptment just yet, is time lapse.

That is one thing which I really enjoyed before I took the plunge on a telescope and tracking mount. just set the cam up for a few hours to take a couple of hundred images at a similar exposure to your shots above, then open them as an image sequence in Quick Time, select a frame rate (10fps is a good place to start) and bosh, a nice little video for you to show people.

I have 2 examples here at compressed quality for flickr, but you can see the effect:

Flickr: astro_john_palmer's Photostream

John

Archived