what camera/web cam for £100 ish

Hi guys,

After getting some great advice regarding a first telescope I come to you again with a plea for help.

We want to take photos of the planets (in particular) and we were advised to get a Philips SPC880 or SPC900...neither of which I can find anywhere for sale...

Could anyone recommend an alternative web cam, or otherwise, for no more than £100?

Thanks in advance!

Got some great views of the moon tonight , cannot wait to have a look through the new scope when it arrives :icon_salut:

theres a couple for sale on uk astro buy/sell & also on that very well known auction... BUT there are going for outragous prices £60 - £80+.

i was looking at getting another, but have decided to go for a microsoft lifecam cinema & do the mod myself... Then maybe sell mine on or put it cupboard for safe keeping...

not worth wasting your money on the spc's

The lifecam is easy to mod I did mine in 20-30 mins. The instructions are here Instructions for Converting Microsoft Lifecam Cinema HD Webcam for Telescope Use -by Gary Honis

I used a bespoke chasis designed for the lifecam from here Welcome to Billetparts.co.uk a Divison of FDOS Design - - MS Lifecam Adapter you don't really need to be able to solder you only disconnect 2 pins (you can also skip a couple of the fiddly steps in garys guide).

Attached are two photos of mine with a filter on you'd never know looking at it it was a web cam :-)

Lifecam was £30

Chasis (with cap not pictured) £15

Filter £10-15

post-29851-133877729242_thumb.jpg

post-29851-133877729249_thumb.jpg

Archived